My HR manager’s birthday just passed, and while we don’t really need an excuse to indulge in baked goods in our office, we had actually had a reason to justify our indulgences this time. I decided to try out a new recipe I came across while searching for Jack Daniels cupcake recipes. Cotton candy cupcakes? Sounds delish to me. And they were!
Adapted from Bakingdom
Cotton Candy Cupcakes
- 3 cups of Flour
- 1 cup of Sugar
- 3 teaspoons of Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 2 sticks of Unsalted Butter, room temperature
- 1 cup of Sour Cream
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 1 cup of Cotton Candy, packed
- Preheat the oven to 350° and line a cupcake pan with liners and set aside.
- In a standing mixer, cream butter, sour cream, eggs and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, sift together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the standing mixer, until everything is incorporated.
- Add cotton candy to the mixer and allow to incorporate, about a minute.
- Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, depending on your oven, until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow all cupcakes to cool completely before frosting.
Cotton Candy Buttercream Icing
- 1 cup of Butter
- 3 cups of Confectioner’s Sugar
- 1 tsp of Vanilla Extract
- 3 tsp of Milk, divided
- 1/2 cup of Cotton Candy
- Put cotton candy in a separate bowl and add 2 teaspoons of milk over top.
- In a standing mixer, cream butter.
- Add vanilla extract & 1 teaspoon of milk to creamed butter.
- Slowly add confectioner’s sugar intermittently.
- Once butter and sugar have creamed together, add cotton candy and milk mixture to the mixer and allow to mix for another minute.
- Frost your cupcakes!
The only thing that really would have made these cupcakes better is if I had a cotton candy machine at the house to make fresh cotton candy. Topping the topping the cupcakes with some fluffy cotton candy would have been awesome. Unfortunately, I don’t have that countertop appliance, nor did anyone I know. It also would have looked extra cute!
I’m going to be keeping this recipe on hand….my niece and nephew turn 1 this June. Thing 1 and Thing 2 cupcakes? I think that might be a possibility! Maybe Red Velvet Cupcakes with the Cotton Candy Icing…..the possibilities are endless!